Wall O Water Plant Protectors and Season Extenders
Wall O' Water plant protectors will keep your plants growing with temps down to 16°F.
Gardeners may be concerned that it is too cold at night if you plant 2 months before the last frost—but cold is good. You want it to freeze, as that is what makes the Plant Protector work. When the water in the Plant Protector freezes at night, it gives off 1.8 million calories of heat—half of which stays inside and keeps the plant warm.
How to use the Wall O Water Plant Protector:
- Use an empty 5-gallon bucket as a frame to set up the empty Plant Protector, and then simply fill the tubes with water.
- Only fill each tube two-thirds full. Then remove the bucket, and the Plant Protector will form a cone shape
- After transplanting, leave the Plant Protector in the cone configuration as long as possible. Once you open it all the way, heat will escape—and your plant wants the heat, so it's best to keep it closed.
- Don't expect a lot of top growth initially. The roots will develop first to provide a solid foundation for the plant.
- After a while, your plant will grow and start pushing the Wall O Waters open at the top. At this time, finish filling each tube with water. The plant itself will now trap the heat inside. At no time do you need to worry about overheating. When the outside temperatures get too hot, the Plant Protector will help cool the plant.
- After the tubes have been filled with water, you may leave the Plant Protector on the plant until your harvest is complete, or you can remove it when the temps stay warm.
- Each Wall O Water is 18-inches tall and has an 18-inch diameter.